Herban Fire Cider
Not just because of COVID. But every year we break out this ancient folk remedy. Fire cider’ is an apple cider vinegar-based, spicy-sweet tonic that helps decongest a stuffy nose, quiets a cough, warms up the chills, and gives the immune system a supportive boost to aid the body in healing from a cold or flu bug or today Coronavirus. Not to mention since we've all been sitting in doors our skin is suffering from the heaters and air conditioners. So home self care has been essential this year especially.
Here are a few of our staple ingredients inspired by the goddess Rosemary Gladstar:
- Apple Cider Vinegar — a digestive aid, also fights bacteria and viruses.
- 1/2 cup of fresh grated Horseradish — helps alleviate sinus congestion and headaches.
- 1/2 cup of fresh grated Ginger — helps with digestion, infections and nausea.
- 1/2 cup of fresh grated turmeric— helps with inflammation
- 10 cloves of Garlic —has antimicrobial and antibacterial properties.
- 1 medium Onion — has similar properties to garlic but is also great for preventing (or recovering from!) colds and the flu.
- 1 (of each) Lemon| Lime| Blood Orange– Vitamin C, crucial to a functional immune system
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper|Cinnamon and/or 1 Jalapeno — helps move blood through your cardiovascular system. We like it a little spicy over here
- 1/4 cup of Raw Honey — soothes inflamed tissues, suppresses cough, anti-bacterial.
* We added our No. 3 OTR Berry tea, which includes the dynamic duo, Elderberry and Echinacae.
- Prepare your roots, fruits, and herbs and place them in a quart-sized glass jar. If you've never grated fresh horseradish, be prepared for a powerful sinus-opening experience!
- Pour the apple cider vinegar in the jar until all of the ingredients are completely covered .
- Shake jar to combine all the ingredients and store in a dark, cool place for 4-6 weeks, mixing intermittently. Add honey to taste and toss it back!